Al Shabaab has claimed its fighters launched the deadly attack on Dusit hotel and business complex because of the American President Donald Trump’s decision to recognise Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.
In a two-page statement, the group said: “The Mujahideen (holy warriors) carried out this operation ... (as) a response to the witless remarks of US president, Donald Trump, and his declaration of Al-Quds (Jerusalem) as the capital of Israel.”
Earlier on Wednesday the Kenyan government said its security forces had killed the militants who stormed an upscale Nairobi hotel compound, taking at least 21 lives and forcing hundreds of others into terrifying escapes.
More than 700 civilians were evacuated from the dusitD2 complex after a 20-hour, overnight siege that echoed a 2013 assault that killed 67 people in Nairobi’s Westgate shopping centre in the same neighbourhood.
Some hid under desks as bullets shattered plate glass doors. Others jumped from windows or ran out under fire.
It has emerged that two of the al Shabaab members killed during the raid hailed from Kiambu and Nyeri in Central Kenya.
26-year-old Eric Kinyanjui is said to come from Ngecha Village in Limuru, and Farouk, reported to have been born and bred in Majengo slum in Nyeri.